Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back-in-the-Day Children’s Book Mini-Challenge

What were some of your favorite children’s books when you were younger? I mentioned in my first Monday Meme that I loved series as a child. One series I didn't mention is Harry Potter, but that might be because I read that series from childhood (age 11) to young adulthood (19). 

Do you have any new favorites now that you’re an adult? I recently read Ella Enchanted and am pretty sure I would have loved it as a kid. I enjoy rereading children's books I loved more than reading new ones though. I can't help but love them now because I loved them then. There's not that nostalgic element with children's books I read now. 

Have you included any children’s or YA titles in your Read-A-Thon stack this year? I have included some YA titles in my read-a-thon plans. I started with an Animorphs book and might break out a few more when I get tired.

3 comments:

  1. Boxcar Children, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Beany Malone, Melendy Family (Elizabeth Enright) and Betsy-Tacy. And others ... too many to mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arghghg!! I forgot Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins! Silly me.

    As for a new favorite, I just have to mention a wonderful Christmas book my two great-nephews are getting: "Santa and the Little Teddy Bear." This is destined to be a classic! Fabulous illustrations and visits to exotic places and new cultures, with carols, music, traditions and a great plot. It teaches the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, "Santa and the Little Teddy Bear" sounds great! I'll have to check it out. I'm on a children's lit kick right now. I've read a few Newbery Medal winners I missed growing up (The Westing Game and The View from Saturday), and a new one (When You Reach Me).

    I also just rediscovered my Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I think they definitely deserve a reread.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete