Saturday, October 16, 2010

I just finished When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead and it is the most beautiful thing I've read in a while. I wish it had been written ten years earlier so I could have read it when I was 12. This book is like an old friend I've just met (to steal from Gonzo), and it's made me want to give five stars to every children's book I've ever read.

Even though I wasn't surprised by the ending, I'm confident I could reread this book many times and still take away something different, or notice something I missed the last time I read it. Also, it doesn't hurt that this book references A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle several times (I totally have a signed copy of A Wrinkle in Time that also says Tesser Well).

This book was also great because it broke me out of the reading slump I hit after the read-a-thon when I started Watership Down (aka Lord of the Rings with rabbits). Hopefully my next reads (probably Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech with some Watership Down thrown in with the hopes that I'll actually finish it) will keep this ball rolling. One more book to 50 for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment