Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I just finished The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. Fun fact: Ellen Raskin illustrated the original book jacket of A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. It was really interesting. In the beginning I had trouble keeping all the characters straight (there are a lot of characters). But once I got into it, the mystery kept me reading. It's like Clue (the movie) with an element of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl thrown in.

This was the fiftieth book I read this year. I reached my goal of reading 50 books this year and 8 books this month. I read a lot of children's lit though (aka shorter books), so I'm a little more than a thousand pages short of my 15,000 page goal. Something to work on in November and December (not that I'll stop reading this month...). 

Another goal: to read a (preferably a new to me) Newbery Medal winner from every decade. When You Reach Me and The Westing Game get me started with... the 2010s (is that right?) and the 1970s.

It was that or to read every Newbery Medal winner from one decade. Maybe I'll tackle that one next year I only have to read three new books to complete the 1990s,* but I'll probably tackle the 2000s. I've only read one of those.**

*The three I haven't read are Maniac MaGee by Jerry Spinelli, Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, and Missing May by Cynthia Rylant.
** The one I have read is The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

No comments:

Post a Comment